So how many of you like Macaroni Salad?
For me, its always been a favorite food of mine! I LOVE love it!!! But never ate it that much due to the high calorie content, and the fact that I’d never found a low-cal version that tempted my tastebuds. But my search has ended. This recipe is simply deliciouso~! Whenever I make this for company/family, people are always asking for the recipe. And I’ve had several people tell me that they normally don’t like Macaroni Salad – but they love this one! My very own husband and kids never even liked Macaroni Salad, but when I make this recipe they want to eat this as their main meal – not a side dish~! Now THAT’S high praise, right?
This recipe is another one of my “Recipe Renovations”. It’s originally a Guy Fieri recipe (love his recipes)! And as I’m sure his original recipe is quite delicious, I altered this to suit our tastes, as well as to put a healthier spin on it! And honestly, once you try this you won’t even know its healthy! It tastes just as sinful as the full-fat versions but this is PACKED with lots of flavor too!
Guy’s original recipe is MacDaddy Macaroni Salad, and when I found this recipe I knew immediately it was a winner! It had 5 out of 5 stars and over 60 reviews. But I knew I couldn’t make this in all its “full fat” glory. I had to find a way to slim it down! And after making it several times I realized I also wanted to reduce the amount of garlic (so we weren’t breathing fire..lol), and also to change around some ingredients. So after playing around with it, and getting the seal of approval from many family members – I knew I had a winner~!
Before I get into the recipe, I wanted to let you know Kiss Nails has a giveaway going on until March 2, 2012! If you guys read my “Wham Bam Instant Glam” post about nail enamel strips – you’ll know Kiss Nail Dress is my absolute FAVE! They last SO long and have super fun and blingy designs! So if you click the button on the top right side, it’ll take you directly to their giveaway, so you can enter! (Its on the Kiss Nails Facebook page, under the “Freebies” tab!) OH, and tonight I’m going to be doing my nails with this fun pattern:
I’ll post pics on a later post, so you guys can see! Oh and another little update: I just received the goodies I need to make the homemade beauty products I talked about in my post about Nature’s Garden! So stay tuned for that, I can’t wait to share with you the process from start to finish! Do you guys want to know what beauty products I’ll be making????………Well……….you’ll just have to come back and SEE!!! (haha, sorry, I couldn’t help myself! I know I’m such a tease! ) Seriously though, I’m so excited and I hope you will come back and join me for this! Ok, now onto your regularly scheduled programming (recipe time!) ….
- 16-20 ounces macaroni pasta, (depends on the creaminess level you like)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¾ cup minced red onion
- ¾ cup minced roasted red bell pepper
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup minced pepperoncini
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, boil water. Once it comes to a full rolling boil, add salt. Now add your pasta, and cook until al dente, then place into an ice water bath briefly and drain.
- In a mixing bowl add your mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, mustard, and vinegar. Mix to combine, and place in the fridge to keep it chilled while your pasta cools down.
- When your pasta has cooled off, mix in the mayonnaise mixture and all your vegetables. Now season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour for all the flavors to combine.
Guy Fieri’s original recipe is here:
Don’t be afraid to play with your recipes. We all have different tastes and nutritional needs, so think of a recipe as more of a “guideline” but not a “cardinal rule”. You never know what kind of masterpieces you can create when you let your creativity take over!